Review of Woodbridge Golf Club in Wylie
Ok, I admit it – I love Woodbridge Golf Club and I’m a tad biased when it comes to writing an unbiased review of one of my favorite courses. Here’s are just a few reasons why I love Woodbridge Golf Club:
- Each hole is a little different from the previous hole and each hole will test your game in one way or another
- The greens are always in great shape, run at a good speed, and have lots of slope, contour, and tiers
- The fairways have also been in very good condition each time we’ve played and they range from let-er-rip to tight and tree-lined
- Woodbridge is fair but very challenging and it will throw a lot at you – forced carries, big bunkers, dog legs, water on 14 holes, and 55 bunkers
- The course puts a premium on course management and shot-making particularly on the approach shots
- The pro shop is well stocked and the practice facilities, locker rooms, and grill are very good
- The fees are extremely reasonable for such a quality course
- The staff and management team are friendly, committed to making sure you have an enjoyable round at a good pace of play, and more importantly the head pro has been at Woodbridge for over 13 years – a rarity in the golf industry and it’s a joy to be welcomed by name and see the same faces each time we play
Woodbridge Golf Club made our list of the Best Dallas Courses and GolfDigest rated it 4 stars. Woodbridge truly lives up to its slogan of “the best golf value in Dallas Fort Worth." Give Woodbridge Golf Club a try and I’m sure you’ll agree
The majority of the fairways are tree-lined and if you spray the ball you’ll most likely need to reload. They range from tight to a couple of fairways that are wide open and you can let it rip. The rough is usually fairly wide and playable. Every time that we have played the fairways have been in great shape. Generally speaking, the fairways are flat and you can count on some extra roll.
The greens at Woodbridge Golf Club are a variety of interesting shapes and they range from a tad small to huge. Most are very well guarded by water, trees, or strategically placed huge bunkers – which puts a premium on your approach shots. Every time we’ve played they have been in above average condition, held the ball well, ran true, and at a good speed. Practice putting before you head out because you’re going to find lots of slope and contour and a few tiers that can cause three putts!
The bunkers are in the process of being redone to flatten the faces and add new soft light white sand. The bunkers range from small pot sized (make sure you avoid the hidden small deep pot bunker lined with railroad ties off the left side of the 7th green) to huge multi-fingered monsters and there are 55 of them that you need to miss.
The layout of Woodbridge Golf Club is excellent – lots of variety, lots of challenges, and lots of fun. Some of the holes that we really like include:
- #3 is the #1 handicap and it’s a 573-yard par 5 with a creek that crosses the fairway about 140 yards out plus a lake on the right side of the fairway, 5 huge bunkers to avoid, and a tiered green
- #5 is one of my favorites – it’s a fun and demanding 426-yard par 4 with a lake on the right waiting for your drive, a dogleg right fairway that is pinched and tight due to the trees, a creek to cross about 90 yards in front of the green, and a cascading waterfall with a pond and creek guarding the left side of the kidney-shaped green which also has a bunker on the right and a grass swale in the front – course management and accuracy from tee to cup are critical
- #8 is a short but fun 317-yard par 4 with a 90-degree dogleg left – plus water along the entire left side, two big bunkers and trees waiting for a drive that’s too long, and two more bunkers guarding the green
- #13 is the #2 handicap hole – a 614-yard par 5 with 4 fairway bunkers and a dogleg left over a creek in front of the green with 4 of the largest nastiest bunkers I’ve seen in Dallas
- #17 is a short (293 yards) par 4 but it's tight and turns left toward the green at a big right-side bunker
Bottom line – a great course that you need to add to your list of must plays.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.
Service is excellent - very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. The grill has some very good food and the practice facilities are excellent - two large practice tees, a 12,000 square foot putting green, and a 9,000 square foot chipping green.
Eric Easter - gm -firstname.lastname@example.org