Review & Rating of SilverRock Resort in La Quinta, Ca
Arnold Palmer designed a fantastic 18 holes of golf at SilverRock Resort that sprawls over 200 acres at the base of the stunning rugged and steep Santa Rosa Mountains. Massive native waste bunkers, cascading waterfalls into sparkling ponds, huge steep and deep sand bunkers, challenging green complexes, wide-open landing zones, near-perfect conditions, and friendly service make SilverRock one of the best in the Palm Springs area and a must-play.
SilverRock Resort in La Quinta is owned by the City of La Quinta, managed by Landmark Golf Management, and was home to the Bob Hope Classic from 2008 to 2011. Some of the well-deserved accolades and awards SilverRock Resort has received include:
- Best Tour Golf Course You Can Play by Golfweek Magazine
- Zagat America's Top Golf Courses Award
- Top 10 New Golf Courses You Can Play in America by Golf Magazine
- Voted Best of the Best by Palm Springs Life Magazine
Every hole is a little different from the previous hole and during your round you'll encounter forced carries over waste areas and water, strategically placed huge fairway bunkers, doglegs left and right, risk-reward opportunities, wide-open landing zones, and challenging green complexes. SilverRock Resort is challenging but fair and there are six sets of tee boxes with yardages ranging from 4542 to 7239 yards – don't bite off more than you can handle, in fact you may want to move up a set of tee boxes and play something that is a little shorter than you normally play! Some of the holes are set up against the side of the Santa Rosa Mountains and all of the holes have stunning views of the Mountains.
Both nines are excellent but we liked the back nine a little better – it seemed to be a little more challenging with some very interesting and fun holes plus 3 beautiful par 3s and 3 outstanding par 5s. Some of the holes that we really loved included:
- #4 is a 385 par 4 that offers a good risk-reward shot to carry more of the huge waste area and shorten the hole which turns left toward a well-guarded green – there is a large waste area along the left side of the fairway and the mountains come right down to the fairway on the right side
- #12 is a fun 578-yard par 5 with a carry over the lake, a landing zone that ends in a large waste area, and a fairway that takes a sharp right to the green with a big left side bunker and no room for error
- #14 is a 572-yard par 5 with a tight split level contoured fairway, a small deep bunker in the middle of the fairway at 50 yards out, and a green set off the right – and of course waste bunkers along both sides and the back of the green
- #18 is an excellent finishing hole with a long carry over a waste bunker and canal, a small bunker that splits a contoured sloping fairway, and a small heavily contoured green with a left and right big bunker
The SilverRock Resort Greens were in near perfect condition, soft, and a little slow at around 8 or so. They seemed easy to read and ran very true. All of the greens are well guarded with big bunkers and waste bunkers. Most of the greens are huge and all have some minor to severe slope and contour.
The fairways at SilverRock were also in near perfect condition. Off the tee, in most cases, the fairways are wide open but miss and you're in a nasty strategically placed bunker or a huge waste area or water on 8 holes. The small rough around the fairways was also in good condition and a tad thick but playable. Some of the fairways are contoured and sloping others are flat offering some extra roll.
The bunkers a SilverRock are huge and multi-fingered and steep and deep. Some are so big they could swallow a small house. And they are everywhere! The good news is that the sand is excellent. Huge waste bunkers with sand and brush and trees typically line both sides of the fairways and cover the back and sides of the greens.
SilverRock Resort is a must-play if you're in the area – it's fun, scenic, and challenging but fair.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.
Service is excellent, the pro shop is in a temporary location but has all the basics, and the practice area is good