Review and Rating of Lozano Golf Center in Corpus Christi
Lozano Golf Center in Corpus Christi is home to an 18 hole par 72 course (4 tee boxes and yardages range from 5138 to 7027) as well as an executive par 30 nine hole course with 2 tee boxes and yardages of 1810 and 1947 yards. The 18 hole course was originally designed by Leon Howard and opened for play in 1965. In 1983 Finger Dye Spann, Inc. redesigned the course. The course is owned by the City of Corpus Christi but managed by one of the best management companies in Texas, Foresight Golf.
Some of the reasons we can recommend Lozano Golf Center as a must play if you're in the area include:
- the course is typically in very good condition from tee to cup
- it's a good mixture of traditional straightforward what you see is what you get holes to some fun and demanding holes that will test your shot making skills
- it's playable for all skill levels and an easy walking course
- it's fair with ample fairways but greens that can be challenging to hit and hold
- the practice facilities are good – make sure you spend some time on them before heading out for your round
- the layout offers several opportunities to play safe or take some risk reward shots off the tee box
- there is a nine hole executive course if you want to practice your short game or have limited time
- the staff is friendly and helpful
- the rates are very affordable
And it's home to some really fun holes like:
- #2 is a 378 yard par 4 that takes a sharp 90 degree right turn around a lake – long hitters and risk takers can try to carry the lake to shorten the hole
- #3 is a 380 yard par 4 that also takes a sharp right turn but it has water that starts on the right side of the tee box, crosses the fairway and goes up the left side to the raised small green – this hole requires some accuracy or some risk taking off the tee box to avoid the creek when it crosses the fairway and to make sure your tee shot does not overshot the fairway and land in the water on the other side of the fairway
- #10 is a fun 411 yard par 4 – a slightly elevated tee box, a tee shot that needs to be accurate to avoid the two lakes on the right and not overshot the fairway and land in the lake where the fairway turns right – a great risk reward shot to try and carry one or both of the lakes
- 16 is a 388 yard par 4 with a green set off to the right side and off the tee you can play it safe (the fairway landing zone is pinched by a tree and the lake on the left and 3 bunkers on the right) or take a risk and go for the green by flying the three bunkers
The fairways at Lozano Golf Center are wide and forgiving with a wide playable rough. You'll encounter a scattering of trees and palms, bunkers, lakes, and water crossing the fairway that can cause problems and require some strategic shot making. Most of the fairways are straight ahead (what you see is what you get) and relatively flat – but you will find some minor contour and mounding. When we played the fairways were in very good condition as was the rough. You will find a few bare and dirt spots and a few spots under repair. The rough was cut thin and the ball sits on top of it making it easy to find and play.
The greens at Lozano Golf Center are smaller on the front nine (21 to 29 yards deep – average about 24 yards) and average 30 yards deep (29 to 33 yards deep) on the back. All of the them are raised, steep off the sides, and have plenty of slope and contour – some are like a mini roller coaster ride around the perimeter. There were in very good condition when we played, ran at a good speed of around 9, and fairly easy to read.
The bunkers were in excellent condition with soft thick sand that was a joy to hit out of. The bunkers range from average to good sized and most have faces that are manageable and easy to get over.
Bottom line – an enjoyable round of golf with some easy holes, some shot making holes, and some risk reward opportunities plus good conditions and a very reasonable rate.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.
Service is very good and very friendly. The practice facilites are good, the pro shop has the basic supplies, and the grill serves everything from breakfast tacos to burgers, sandwiches, dogs, and more.