Big Chief RV Resort Overview:
Big Chief RV Resort is a new RV park that opened in early 2006. The park was designed to take advantage of the natural terrain and provide expansive views of Lake Buchanan. You should stay at Big Chief if you are interested in exploring Lake Buchanan or the nearby Texas hill country. Big Chief is one mile from Highway 29 which provides easy access to Burnet, Marble Falls, Inks Lake, Lake LBJ, or Kingsland -- all of which offer plenty to see and do.
The park was built to accommodate big rigs and doesn't allow tent camping or any campers (rigs, not people) more than 10 years old. They have 72 full hook-up sites, most of which are pull through. In addition to the RV sites, Big Chief has 7 one and two bedroom cabins for rent.
We found Big Chief to be one of the best RV Parks that we have visited in Texas.
Amenities and Fun Things To Do:
Big Chief has 72 RV sites most of which level, will accommodate big rigs, and have full hookups. Most of the sites are pull through and have limited shade. None of the sites are on the water, but they do have good views of Lake Buchanan and the sunsets will be fantastic.
Big Chief has one and two bedroom cabins which are fully furnished. The cabins have a full kitchen that is equipped with all the utensils. The bedrooms have queen beds and each cabin is air conditioned and heated. Some of the cabins are right on the water.
Some of the other amenities at Big Chief include:
- wireless Internet
- small store
- laundry room
- fitness room
- TV and game room
- two dog walking areas
- clubhouse with a full kitchen
- a beautiful natural rock pool with a waterfall,
- covered 24' by 53' pavilion for rent for parties, rallies, or reunions
Big Chief has a double lane boat ramp. The shore is sand and rock but conducive to parking your boat overnight. The cove is somewhat protected from wind and waves.
A Typical Texas Outsider Day:
Our typical day is to enjoy Lake Buchanan for skiing/boarding, swimming, fishing, or just relaxing as we cruise the lake. Although we have yet to do this, if you have a boat, cruise upriver to the north end of the lake for some beautiful scenery and a waterfall.
If we are here for an extended period of time, we will play golf at Delaware Springs or some of the other courses in the area. After dinner, we sometimes head west on Highway 29 to Partners or The Ranch for some county music.
Cool Nearby Activities:
Some fun nearby activities include: Vanishing River Cruises for a cruise of Lake Buchanan; golfing at Inks Lake or Delaware Springs in Burnett -- see the golf section of Texas Outside for locations, reviews and more of the local golf courses; local vineyards; Enchanted Rock for climbing and hiking; Longhorn Cavern State Park; and more. You can find other information on nearby lakes, cities, and more in each of the appropriate sections of Texas Outside. You will also find more to do on Big Chief's website and the review of Lake Buchanan will tell you more about Lake Buchanan. You won't run out of things to see or do when you stay at Big Chief.
- Overall Rating:
- Scenic Beauty:
- Things To Do:
Additional Pictures of Big Chief RV Resort
Texas Outside uses a tough rating scale and it’s difficult for a campground to get a “10”. Each park is rated on:
- Scenic Beauty: a campground that is flat with no trees or character gets a “1” and hills, lots of trees, beautiful lake site, and lush ground cover gets a “10”
- Park Condition: the cleaner, well kept, and maintained campgrounds receive high scores
- Amenities: we are looking for lots of amenities like restrooms, dump stations, playgrounds, boat ramps, shelters, concession stand, rental toys, and more.
- Campsites: low scores are given for sites that are right next to each other (good for getting to know your neighbors, but not what we’re looking for when we’re camping); have no lantern holder, no water or electricity, no fire pit, no grill, or no picnic table (or it’s rotten wood); have no trees and no view; the ground cover is crushed rock (my bare feet hate that stuff!); and they require a lot of work to get your rig level.
- Things To Do: Bonus points are given for campgrounds that offer lots of fun things to do at the park or very nearby – this includes: biking, hiking, climbing, boating, entertainment, golf, swimming, fishing, volleyball, horseshoes, and more